Hot and Sweet Prawn Noodles
Just as the name suggests, this recipe is fiery and sweet at the same time. Perfect to answer all your asian food cravings. But here is a disclaimer. All the ingredients I have used here are not exactly what’s used in authentic Asian cuisine. I have just made a bunch of ingredients work together to give me the result which is a lip smacking and delicious plate of prawn noodles. I got the canvas to work on this recipe when I saw the garlic shrimp noodles Seonkyoung Longest ( https://seonkyounglongest.com/ ) had posted on her page.
If you’re a vegetarian and want to substitute the prawns, this recipe works well with mushrooms. Everything remains the same but instead of the fish sauce, add another tablespoon of soy coupled with a tablespoon of white vinegar for the acidity.
Things you will need:
- Spaghetti – 200 grams (approx 100 grams per person. Spaghetti or Linguine work the best for this recipe)
- Jumbo prawns- 15 (cleaned, deveined and preferably with the tails left on. Great flavour. Big prawns work the best for this recipe.)
- Cooking oil
- Butter- 1 inch cube
- Garlic – 6-7 cloves minced (if using the large variety, 2-3 cloves)
- Green peppers- 1 small sliced
- Carrot- 1 medium sized, cut into matchsticks
- Corn flour- 2 teaspoons
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper (ground)- ½ teaspoon
For the spice mix:
- Dark soy sauce- 2.5 tablespoons
- Fish sauce- 1.5 tablespoons
- Honey- 3 tablespoons
- Cayenne pepper powder- 1.5 tablespoons (step it up if you like it more fiery. I would think that regular chilli powder would work as a substitute but I haven’t given it a try yet. But be wary of the quantities!!)
How to go about it:
- Marinate the prawns in corn flour, salt and black pepper. Keep aside.
- Combine all the ingredients given under “for the spice mix” in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Cook the spaghetti in salted, boiling water according to the instructions on the packet until al dente. Strain and keep aside but reserve the pasta water for later.
- Place a large pan or wok on medium to high heat and heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil. Place the marinated prawns in the hot oil and cook each side for a minute. Both sides will be a golden brown.
- Add the minced garlic and butter. Toss it all around until the butter has completely melted.
- Add the spice mixture, give it all a quick mix and add the vegetables. Toss it all around for 30 seconds. We don’t want the veggies to be cooked. A light wilt is all we need.
- Add the cooked pasta and mix it all up well. You can now add about ½ cup of the pasta water to combine it all well.
- Serve immediately with a cold beer 🙂