Just as the name suggests, this recipe is fiery and sweet at the same time. Perfect to answer all your asian food cravings. But here is a disclaimer. All the ingredients I have used here are not exactly what’s used in authentic Asian cuisine. I have just made a bunch of ingredients work together to give me the result which is a lip smacking and delicious plate of prawn noodles. I got the canvas to work on this recipe when I saw the garlic shrimp noodles Seonkyoung Longest ( https://seonkyounglongest.com/ ) had posted on her page.
If you’re a vegetarian and want to substitute the prawns, this recipe works well with mushrooms. Everything remains the same but instead of the fish sauce, add another tablespoon of soy coupled with a tablespoon of white vinegar for the acidity.
Things you will need:
- Spaghetti – 200 grams (approx 100 grams per person. Spaghetti or Linguine work the best for this recipe)
- Jumbo prawns- 15 (cleaned, deveined and preferably with the tails left on. Great flavour. Big prawns work the best for this recipe.)
- Cooking oil
- Butter- 1 inch cube
- Garlic – 6-7 cloves minced (if using the large variety, 2-3 cloves)
- Green peppers- 1 small sliced
- Carrot- 1 medium sized, cut into matchsticks
- Corn flour- 2 teaspoons
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper (ground)- ½ teaspoon
For the spice mix:
- Dark soy sauce- 2.5 tablespoons
- Fish sauce- 1.5 tablespoons
- Honey- 3 tablespoons
- Cayenne pepper powder- 1.5 tablespoons (step it up if you like it more fiery. I would think that regular chilli powder would work as a substitute but I haven’t given it a try yet. But be wary of the quantities!!)
How to go about it:
- Marinate the prawns in corn flour, salt and black pepper. Keep aside.
- Combine all the ingredients given under “for the spice mix” in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Cook the spaghetti in salted, boiling water according to the instructions on the packet until al dente. Strain and keep aside but reserve the pasta water for later.
- Place a large pan or wok on medium to high heat and heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil. Place the marinated prawns in the hot oil and cook each side for a minute. Both sides will be a golden brown.
- Add the minced garlic and butter. Toss it all around until the butter has completely melted.
- Add the spice mixture, give it all a quick mix and add the vegetables. Toss it all around for 30 seconds. We don’t want the veggies to be cooked. A light wilt is all we need.
- Add the cooked pasta and mix it all up well. You can now add about ½ cup of the pasta water to combine it all well.
- Serve immediately with a cold beer 🙂